Access Exchange Conference
Thursday 30th November, 2017
Creating an Accessible Destination
If you are a tourism business or service this special, funded conference is for YOU!
Tourism is a competitive marketplace. Finding, attracting and retaining new audiences is a hard job that is getting harder.
Yet there is one market whose 11% growth is outstripping the rest of the tourism sector by more than 100 per cent. That market is accessible tourism.
Known as the ‘purple pound’ this sector is worth a staggering £12.1 billion per annum and organisations are increasingly realising the need to better understand and meet the needs of the 13 million disabled people in the U.K. who make up this sector: people with hearing impairment, vision impairment and mobility impairment along with people with autism, learning difficulties and dementia.
In turn, the expectations of disabled people have gone through a ‘step-change’: they want accurate, timely information to enable them to select venues that are right for them, excellent facilities which are inclusive and stylish and exemplary customer service.
Derbyshire and the Peak District already has an excellent reputation nationally for its accessibility and with a number of special projects in the pipeline we have the opportunity for that reputation to soar.
The Access Exchange is a special, one day conference which is bringing together local and national experts in accessible tourism and the tourism industry and is being supported by Marketing Peak District and Derbyshire through the European Regional Development Fund, Barclays Bank, iHUS and Closomat.
The aim of the day is to create an even more accessible destination.
During the event you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn from national experts in accessibility and pick up ‘Top Tips’
- Hear about the many exciting accessibility projects that are happening across Derbyshire and the Peak District
- Browse and try out a range of products and services that can improve their accessibility further
- Understand how improving your accessibility will improve your bottom line
- Promote and share your business, service, accessibility projects and plans and learn ways to market your accessibility effectively
- Meet Accessible Derbyshire: the unique charity that can help with funding
- Improve your confidence in welcoming people with access needs
- Develop some next steps to improve accessibility in the area
- Collaborate, create new partnerships and celebrate success!
Speakers already confirmed for the day include:
- Ross Calladine, Head of Business Support at VisitEngland and accessible tourism expert. Ross will talk about the value of the ‘Purple Pound’ and the launch of the new Accessibility Guides.
- John Child,Managing Director of the multi-award-winning Sandcastle Waterpark in Blackpool. John will share his top tips on creating an exemplary, accessible attraction.
- Ed Warner, Founder and Managing Director of Motionspot who create award-winning, beautifully accessible bathrooms.
- Steve Dawes, owner of Croft Bungalow, Birchover who will share his journey into the accessible tourism market and its benefits.
During the afternoon there will be a series of ‘have a go’ workshop sessions where you will have the opportunity to experience for yourselves some of the incredible, accessible facilities and services which are on the market.
The conference is being run by Access For All UK: the consultancy arm of Accessible Derbyshire. Places on the conference are limited and are being funded by Marketing Peak District and Derbyshire through the European Development Fund The event is therefore free to attend for visitor economy businesses in the area and can be booked using the link below. A two-course lunch and refreshments are included.
We hope you are able to join us for what we are sure will be an enjoyable, interesting and ground-breaking day!